This week I was looking for a fantastic recipe to incorporate into my Children’s Nutrition Cooking Class and found this great recipe courtesy of Whole Living
1 1/2 cups pitted dates
1/4 cup raw macadamia nuts
2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
Pinch sea salt
1 cup strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
1. Pulse dates, nuts, oats, and salt in a food processor until combined. If using a vitamix or other blender do not over blend. It changes the consistency of the shell.
2. Press the date mixture into the bottom of a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
3. Mash half the strawberries and spread on top of date mixture. Top with remaining strawberries. Slice into rectangles
To make it my own, I made it several different ways.
1. First Instead of making bars I made them in a mini cupcake tin. First the date/macadamia nut mixture, crushed strawberries, sliced strawberries, dollop of whipped cream and topped with blueberries.
2. For a nut free facility I used gram cracker instead of nuts
3. I also tried prunes instead of dates on occasion and it worked as well. However, the dates are preferred.
These are a healthy delicious treat and could be adapted many ways. Enjoy and please share your results!